Career Advisor - Animation & Graphic Design
- - Career Development
- Los Angeles, CA, USA
- Full Time
- Health, Dental, Vision, 401-K, FSA, Life, EAP, PTO
Are you passionate about Animation, VFX, and Graphic Design? Want to share your knowledge and experience with the next generation of industry pros? Then this is the job for you! The Los Angeles Film School's Career Development Department is conducting a search for an industry-savvy Career Advisor to work with students and graduates in our on-ground and online Animation & Graphic Design programs. This is a rewarding opportunity to help new talent navigate their way through the exciting worlds of Animation, VFX, and Graphic Design. We're seeking an energetic, personable professional with at least 5 years of experience in the Animation & Graphic Design fields, as well as a wide range of contacts in the industry.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct one-on-one career advisory meetings (in-person, Zoom, telephone) with students and graduates to provide guidance and help them secure employment; conduct additional "Open Door" Advisory Meetings.
- Conduct ongoing graduate outreach to monitor employment status and collect detailed data. Research and track professional accomplishments of graduates.
- Provide accurate statistical information for the yearly accreditation.
- Work in conjunction with the Industry Relations team to recommend, screen and submit candidates for open internships and jobs.
- Assist graduate candidates with tailoring resumes and cover letters to specific jobs.
- Educate and assist with presentation skills, conducting research, developing telephone and interviewing skills, social media presence, industry etiquette and responsibilities.
- Conduct mock interviews with students and alumni, as necessary.
- Document all conversations (in-person, Zoom, telephone, email) on our proprietary website.
- Collaborate with the Career Development team to deliver and work special events, such as Career Fairs, Alumni Mixers, Workshops, Information Sessions, etc.
- Network and develop relationships with industry professionals to cultivate internship and job leads in the Animation & Graphic Design fields for students and graduates.
- Attend industry seminars, conventions, events and conferences (as requested).
- Liaison and collaborate with faculty and staff; actively contribute to inter-departmental and/or company-wide meetings and projects, as needed.
- Maintain weekly hybrid office hours to establish/maintain relationships with students and faculty.
- Attend/participate in monthly graduation rehearsals and graduation ceremonies.
- Represent the Career Development Department to prospective students at Open House presentations (two Saturdays per year).
- Duties and assignments as assigned by Career Development Vice President.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in the Animation, VFX, and Graphic Design industries.
- Network of related industry contacts.
- Proficient in resume writing.
- Links to professional work examples.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Teaching/coaching/advisement and/or public speaking.
- Prior experience in an office environment.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills; great phone manner is a must.
- Strong proficiency with PC and Mac (MS Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Keynote); ability to learn new programs as required.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a diverse student population.
- Position requires discretion, patience, compassion, confidentiality, and tactful issue resolution.
- Strong organizational skills, including time management, multi-tasking, and follow-through.
- Ability to work well under pressure, meet multiple, quick deadlines, and handle shifting priorities.
- Ability to remain current on industry trends, technology, craft, and hiring trends.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Strong grammar and correspondence skills.